By David Niven, PhD
What Scientists Have Learned and How One Can Use It
Happy people do not experience one success after another and unhappy people, neither one failure after another.Surveys show that happy and unhappy people tend to have had very similar life experiences. The difference is that the average unhappy person spends more than twice as much time thinking about unpleasant events in their lives, while happy people tend to seek and rely upon information that brightens their personal outlook.
1. Your life has a purpose
2. Use a strategy for happiness
3. You donít have to win every time
4. Your goals should be aligned with one another
5. Choose your comparisons wisely
6. Cultivate friendship
7. Turn off the TV
8. Accept yourself unconditionally
9. Remember where you came from
10. Friendship beats money
11. Have realistic expectations
12. Be open to new ideas
13. Share with others how important they are to you.
14. Believe in yourself
15. Donít believe in yourself too much
16. Donít be overprotective
17. Donít face your problems alone
18. Develop a household routine
19. Pay attention. You may have what you want.
20. Donít let your religion or belief fade..
21. Do what you say you are going to do.
22. Donít confuse stuff with success
23. Every relationship is different
26. If you canít reach your goals, your goals will not hurt you.
27. Little things have big meanings
28. Itís not what happened. Itís what you think about what happened.
30. Develop some common interests with loved ones
31. Share yourself
32. Donít let your entire life hinge on one element
33. Busy is better than bored.
34. Satisfaction is relative
35. Try to think less about people and things that bother you.
36. Keep your family close
37. Eat some fruit everyday
38. Enjoy what you have
39. Think in concrete terms
40. Be socially supportive.
41. Donít blame yourself
42. Be a peacemaker
43. Make your work a calling
44. Never trade your morals for your goals.
45. Donít pretend to ignore things your loved ones do that bother you.
46. Get a good night sleep.
47. Buy what you like
48. Accomplish something everyday
49. Be flexible. Events are temporary
50. Be your own family
51. Join a group
52. Be positive. There are endings, but be prepared.
53. How we see the world is more important than how the world is.
54. Keep a pen & paper handy.
55. Help the next person who needs some minor assistance.
56. Take care not to harshly criticize your family and friends
57. Some people like the big picture, some like the details.
58. Do things you are good at.
59. Go visit your neighbor.
61. You always have a choice
62. Be agreeable
63. Donít always accept the TV picture of the world.
64. Donít ignore one part of your life.
65. Listen to music
66. Let your goals guide you
67. Use your job positively
68. Donít forget to have fun
69. Believe in ultimate justice
71. Be conscientious
72. Donít dwell on unwinnable conflicts.
73. Choose your battle wisely.
74. Enjoy the ordinary
75. Focus not on the worldís tragedies but on the worldís hope
76. Get a hobby.
77. Envying other peopleís relationships is pointless
78. Give yourself time to adapt to change
79. Focus on what really matters
80. Realize that complete satisfaction does not exist.
81. Surround yourself with pleasant aromas
82. Donít let others set your goals.
83. You are a person not a stereotype
84. Know what makes you happy or sad
85. Keep reading.
86. We must feel needed.
87. Say ďso what.Ē
88. Have a purpose.
89. You have not finished the best part of your life.
90. Money does not buy happiness
91. What does it all mean?
92. You decide.
93. Define your life
94. Donít think ďwhat if?Ē
95. Root for the home team
96. If you are not sure, guess positively.
97. Age is not to be feared.
98. Learn to use a computer
99. * Believe In Yourself
100. * Enjoy What You Have
By David Niven, PhD
Health and Social Issues |